Famous or notable people who lived/farmed/owned land in the Craigieburn Area.
Click to enlarge the Parish of Yuroke map
This page is still under construction and welcome any suggestions or additions to this page.
1910 - 2008 Arthur Angliss was the nephew of Australia's greatest cattle baron Sir William Angliss and went on to manage the family's massive pastoral empire for almost 20 years after his uncle's death in 1957. (William Angliss College in Melbourne is named after him).
In 1935 Arthur Angliss bought "Marnong", a 1200-hectare property at Mickleham. In 1936, he married Elma Screen, and they transformed Marnong into a wonderful family home. Over the next 20 years, Arthur's foresight and hard work resulted in reclaiming the property from the ravages of rabbits and soil erosion; he introduced netting fencing and contour furrowing.
For many years, more than 10,000 rabbits were poisoned annually, until they were eliminated. With pasture improvement and fertiliser, the carrying capacity was increased five-fold, and he took great pride in topping the averages at Newmarket saleyards with his fat lambs and bullocks. He died at Tugun on the Gold Coast in 2008 he was aged 97.
William Highett (1807-1880) was a famous business man and politician who originally came from Weymouth in the county of Dorset, England. He owned two blocks of land in the parish of Yuroke at Craigieburn on what is now Craigieburn Road West blocks XX1 D and A. More on William Highett can be found on the sites below.
Frederic Race Godfrey
Frederick Race Godfrey (1828 – 1910) was a Victorian Pioneer, squatter and business man of note and politician who came to Port Phillip in 1847. He resided at Mt. Ridley Station for 17 years were he engaged in agricultural pursuits. More can be found on the sites below.
James Malcolm & James William Malcolm & Charles Edward Malcolm
James Malcolm arrived from Tasmania in 1836. James Malcolm was noted as being 'the wealthiest man in early Melbourne' and is claimed within 50 years of his arrival in 1836 and beginning with little more than 50 pounds, Malcolm had accumulated some 6,000 acres of land, 30,000 sheep and managed an income of 30,000 pounds a year. James is claimed to have also come from Van Diemen's Land with 50 shillings and by 1851 he was the largest individual sheep owner in Victoria. Died 16th of July 1878.
James William Malcolm his son was born in London on 29 March 1862 and later became Sir James William Malcolm, he gained the title of '9th Baronet Malcolm' and died 30 April 1927 at the age of 65 in England.
A second son Charles Edward Malcolm was born in 1866 and became Major Charles Edward Malcolm and married Hon. Beatrice Mary Leslie Hore-Ruthven, daughter of Walter James Hore-Ruthven, 9th Lord Ruthven of Freeland and Lady Caroline Annesley Gore, on 28 December 1894, they lived at Maxstoke Castle, Coleshill, Warwickshire, England until Charles died 16th Apr 1935.
GEORGE HENRY COLE
(1859-1919) Methodist minister, lived at Mickleham and became a famous, powerful, evangelist and temperance campaigner over the years. His own harsh background helped him understand the plight of homeless and delinquent boys and he went on to implement a boys' training farm at Tally Ho, Burwood, Victoria where teaching in agriculture could spiritually reform and educate some of the boys. Cole died at Tally Ho, 11 July 1919, at Burwood, in Victoria and is buried in the Burwood cemetery.
William John Turner Clarke (W. J. T. Clark)
(1805 - 1874) famous pastoralist and landowner born on 20 April 1805 in Somerset, England. Known generally as 'Big' Clarke and 'Moneyed' Clarke he owned many blocks of land around the Craigieburn, Mickleham and surrounding districts at one stage he had a single property that stretched from Sunbury to the Sydney Road and acquired the reputation of being the wealthiest man in the country. Served on the Victorian Legislative Council from the inauguration of responsible government in 1856 until 1870 and died 13th of January 1874, leaving an estate of some £2,500,000, besides approximately 215,000 acres (87,008 ha) of freehold throughout Australasia.
Thomas Graham Esq
(1802 -1871) Pioneer, owner and publican of the Robert Burns Hotel at Craigieburn. Thomas established Graham's Brewery in 1865 on the Ferry Lodge plot site on the banks of the River Yarra E. Collingwood, Melbourne in the same district as many of the emerging and now well known breweries were also setting up e.g. Yorkshire Brewery 1858; Victoria Parade Brewery 1864; Carlton Brewery 1865; Castlemaine Brewery 1871; and later Fosters 1887.
Following Thomas’s death in 1871 the business continued to be run and when the business was put up for sale, the site and brewery was bought by Messrs Boyd & Head in 1874 who renamed it as the Shamrock Brewery (later to become the Shamrock Brewing and Malting Company Ltd) one of the big 9 breweries who combined to form Carlton and United Breweries (CUB) in 1907 - one of Australia’s most successful multi -national companies.
In 1845 he was appointed Deputy Grand Master of the Oddfellows to Dr. A F A Greeves of the Port Phillip District; a Provincial Grand Master of the Port Phillip District in 1847 and he became a Grand Master of the Order in 1861 and served on committees and visited other areas such as Geelong in an Oddfellows role.
After Graham died in 1871 what should have been a straight forward administrative process though the court to dispose of the estate became a major, famous and widely reported Equity Court Case called Graham v Graham and was heard between 1871/2. It made international news, and was described as 'the Colonial Titchborne Case', after another sensational contemporary court case of bigamous marriages.
The only legal marriage of Thomas, was his first to Jane Lancaster, at Beverley Yorkshire, 7 Sept.1820. His second marriage (Bigamously) was to Ann Hudson, a widow, who already had four children from a previous marriage. Thomas and Ann had two more children before they emigrated in 1832. Thomas eloped with Mary Crooke to Melbourne, marrying her 6 Apr.1840, St. James Church, Melbourne. Mary's husband, James Crooke, died 5 Jul.1845 Hobart. Thomas and Mary appear to have had no children, but it is said, Thomas left Mary for a period, having two children by Mary's daughter, Jane, following Janes first marriage. You can see why the Press of the day, had a field day.